Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Emerge Photo Contest :: First Place Winner

We are honored to announce a first place win in the Emerge photo contest in the category of best wedding story that prominently features the wedding venue.

Award winning Atlanta Wedding Photographers
Emerge offered photographers a unique opportunity to showcase story-telling skills by requiring that a series of images be entered. Building our own liveBooks website was also part of the competition; you can visit our site to view the ten winning from Becca & Brent's at Montaluce as well as our selections for the other categories.

Award winning Atlanta Wedding Photographers
Other sponsors of Emerge include ShootQ, Think Tank, Sony DSLR Cameras, and Asuka Books.

Award winning Atlanta Wedding Photographers
One of the most meaningful aspects to me personally of placing in the contest was that it was judged by Rebecca Curmley, much-loved photo editor of The Knot magazine, and one of my favorite photographers, Joe Buissink. I heard Joe speak last year and gained so much inspiration from his presentation. His words were sincere and full of emotion, many people present were moved to tears and I was no exception. Joe has worked with celebrities from Steven Speilberg to Christina Aguliera, but in the few moments I spoke with him he was completely humble and gave me his full attention, making me feel important. In short, Joe is the kind or person I hope I can be more like in the way that he treats others, and the bold risks he takes in his own work. I'll share the two things I remember best that Joe said:

"You are the pictures you take," in other words who I am shapes my photos. For me this also means the more comfortable and confident I am, the more of my heart I can put into my images, the more authentic and memorable the images become.

"Look for the moment between moments," or anticipate what might happen before or after the thing I think I am photographing, such as a father giving away his daughter at the altar. The expected moment is the giving away, but the real story might be that Dad wipes away a tear as he retreats.

Congrats also to my friend Georgi Anastasov in Philadelphia, who placed first in The Kiss category! I was lucky enough to have Georgi shoot with me for Shannon and Steve's wedding in NJ last fall.

Award winning Atlanta Wedding Photographers
Thanks as always to everyone who believes in us- your support does not go unnoticed!

Atlanta Wedding Photographers

No comments: